How to Join
Becoming a CFCU member is quick and easy. Whether you are considering joining as a business, an organization, or an individual, we can help you every step of the way.
Who can join?
Anyone who lives, works or attends school in Tompkins or Cortland Counties, as well as any business or organization located in Tompkins or Cortland Counties, is eligible to join. In each instance where a person is eligible for membership, his or her spouse, and their lineal ancestors and descendants, including persons related by adoption, are also eligible for membership.
Best of all, our members are for keeps. Once you join, you can continue to enjoy the unique differences and special benefits of CFCU, even if you move out of Tompkins or Cortland Counties, NY. It is important to remember, however, that if you elect to close your account or if it is closed by CFCU due to inactivity or abuse, you must requalify for membership. If you would like to apply for membership today, fill out, print, sign, and mail our Membership Application.
When opening an account, all signers will be required to furnish a Photo ID. According to the U.S. Patriot Act, the following forms of ID are acceptable when transacting business with a financial institution:
- Driver's license or non-drivers ID card
issued by the DMV
- State/Federal Government ID card
- Alien Identification card
- Student ID (with signature)
- Military ID
CFCU will then run verification on each individual through a ChexSystems program that will verify your Social Security number and validity of ID. This program will also indicate whether you have a desirable or undesirable financial history. Based on the information obtained in this report, we reserve the right to deny services.
At the time you open your account, the following amounts will be needed:
- $20 - One-time membership fee for each share account opened. If more than one account is opened simultaneously in the same family, you need pay only one $20 fee. If you sign up for direct deposit when you open your new account, this fee is waived.
- $5 - This is your initial deposit and will stay in your account as long as you are a member. Essentially, it is your purchase of a share of CFCU Community Credit Union.
If you would like to check whether you qualify for membership, call 607-257-8500 or stop by any office or branch. If eligible, you can complete and submit, or print out and mail a Membership Application.